What You Need to Know About ORPHÉE ET EURYDICE at Lyric Opera of Chicago & Lyric’s first collaboration with The Joffrey Ballet — An extraordinary performance experience created by John Neumeier, the visionary director-choreographer-designer September 23 – October 15
One of opera’s most touching masterpieces, the French version of Gluck’s exquisite drama follows the trials faced by Orphée when he loses his beloved Eurydice. Refusing to accept her death, he courageously journeys to the Underworld to bring her back to life, not once but twice, encouraged by Amour.
- Dance legend John Neumeier makes his Lyric debut | Director, Choreographer, and Set/Costume/Lighting Designer of Orphée et Eurydice
- Considered one of the world’s leading choreographers | Neumeier is originally from Milwaukee, trained as a dancer in Chicago, and has been based in Germany for nearly 50 years; currently artistic director of the Hamburg Ballet
- Brand-new coproduction with Los Angeles Opera & Hamburg Opera | See it here first!
- Timeless tragedy propelled by a beautiful classical score and newly created choreography| Faced with unspeakable catastrophe, what would you do to recapture love?
- Ancient Greek myth in contemporary setting | Orphée the poet and musician is reimagined as a choreographer, and his beloved Eurydice is a ballerina; dance moves the plot as much as music
- Lyric’s first-ever collaboration with The Joffrey Ballet | Virtuosic singing, dancing, acting, and orchestral playing will make for a truly unforgettable emotional experience
- These performances = Lyric premiere of French version of Gluck’s opera | Four previous productions at Lyric were all in the original Italian (with less dance)
- This is a landmark work that exemplifies noble simplicity | A move away from the complex plots and musical twists of Baroque opera
- 7 Performances | Sat 9/23 through Sun 10/15 at Lyric Opera House, 20 N. Wacker Drive
- Opening Night for Lyric’s 63rd Season | Saturday, September 23: Doors open at 4:15pm, performance starts at 6:30pm
- 2 hours 20 minutes, including intermission |In the beautiful surroundings of the Art-Deco theater and foyer
- Outstanding international singers| Dmitry Korchak (Orphée), Andriana Chuchman (Eurydice) and Lauren Snouffer (Amour)
- Sung in French | With projected English translations
- 60 members of the Lyric Opera Chorus portray the Denizens of Hades & the Blessed Spirits of Elysium| Prepared by Michael Black, Lyric’s chorus master
- 47 members of the Lyric Opera Orchestra in orchestra pit + 6 banda musicians backstage| Conducted by Harry Bicket, who also led performances of the Italian version at Lyric in 2005
- 42 dancers of The Joffrey Ballet | Prepared by director-choreographer John Neumeier
The opening-night performance of Orphée et Eurydice can be heard live locally on 98.7WFMT and globally on wfmt.com, beginning at 6:15pm on Saturday, September 23.
For more information and to order tickets, visit lyricopera.org/Orphee or call 312-827-5600