CHICAGO – Wendy and William Spatz, co-owners of The Greenhouse Theater Center (2257 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago), today announced plans for $400,000 in renovations and upgrades to better serve the venue’s patrons, resident companies and visiting companies. Well-known Chicago architect David Fleener will spearhead the 18-month project at the multi-theater complex in Chicago’s Lincoln Park neighborhood.
Highlights of the renovation include:
- A major reconfiguration of the Upstairs Main Stage, allowing the space to function as one large theatre with seating for up to 198 patrons, or two smaller theatres with seating for 77-89 guests and 117-129 guests. The reconfiguration will also include new seating risers, two new sound booths, an onsite set workshop and added storage space.
- New risers in the 195-seat Downstairs Main Stage, completely rebuilt to provide better visibility and comfort for patrons (completed in September 2018).
- New men’s and women’s restrooms on the second floor, doubling the facility’s restrooms.
- Soundproofing throughout the complex to prevent sound bleed and allow for fully produced musicals.
- A new upstairs concession stand (completed).
Comments Co-Owner Wendy Spatz, “We’re excited to offer our resident companies and visiting artists greater flexibility at The Greenhouse, with a combination of five proscenium and thrust stages and a variety of seating options, ranging from a 58-seat studio to a 198-seat main stage – and everything in between.”
About the Greenhouse Theater Center
The Greenhouse Theater Center (GTC) is a producing theater company, performance venue and theatre bookstore located at 2257 N. Lincoln Ave. in Chicago’s Lincoln Park neighborhood.
GTC began its producing life in 2014 with the smash hit Churchill, followed by 2016’s much-lauded Solo Celebration!, an eight month, 16 event series highlighting the breadth and depth of the solo play form. In 2017-18, the Greenhouse presented its first full subscription season, including Machinal (4 stars from Chicago Tribune’s Chris Jones and seven 2018 Joseph Jefferson Award nominations, more than any other production) and the Chicago premiere of Birds of a Feather.
As a performance venue, the Greenhouse complex offers two newly remodeled 190+-seat main stage spaces, two 60-seat studio theaters, two high-capacity lobbies and an in-house rehearsal room. GTC also houses Chicago’s only dedicated used theatre bookstore, located on the second floor the complex.
The Greenhouse Theater Center’s mission is first and foremost to grow local theatre. GTC seeks local theatre companies and artists to partner on co-productions, offering partners a multitude of resources including an equitable split of production costs, production manager, full-service box office and front-of-house staff, artistic consultation, marketing and public relations support and a full-service bar with concessions. For additional information, contact Bill Spatz at (312) 637-5323 or [email protected].
With new ideas always incubating, the Greenhouse is flourishing. Come grow with us.